What cant cauliflower do these days?! From pizza crust, to rice, to cauliflower “STEAK”?! Yes - it's the newest role for cauliflower. Its been popping up on restaurant menus all over recently and I'm totally into it.
This doesn't mean that a healthy diet doesn't have room for real steak (I love a good filet mignon), but it is nice that restaurants are giving plants the ability to be center of attention (aka the plate) once in a while. After seeing a beautiful purple cauliflower at Whole Foods I thought I'd have to give cauli steak a go and it turned out great! Read below for recipe deets.
- 1 head cauliflower (larger=better)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or cooking spray (I use Chosen Foods avocado oil spray)
- Seasonings of choice (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray or add olive oil
- Prep the cauliflower by: removing the outer leaves and trim the stem end, hold cauliflower with its base on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, make one cut through the center of the cauliflower to divide it in half, cut each half into two 3/4-inch thick slices. Save the smaller pieces to roast separately later.
- Place cauliflower on greased pan in pre-heated oven for 20 mins (can brush with a little extra olive oil)
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
*Goes great with some greens and legumes. I served mine with sauteed kale with shallots and fennel, hot curry chickpeas and tahini (for some some extra plant-based protein)